We have come a long way from the Tom and Jerry methods of catching rats. Scientists and pest control experts have devised ways of exterminating and humanely capturing rodents. There are many traps and quick remedies to get these pesky critters out of your home. If you have a large infestation of rats then you should click here to be connected with a professional pest expert.
Here are 10 of the most effective remedies to rid your house of rats:
10) Make sure all entrances are completely sealed from the outside. Rats can make their way into your home from even the smallest spaces. Be sure to install mesh wiring over vents, and board up any holes that could lead under your home.
9) Remove their food source. If you find that a rat has been stealing snacks in your pantry, then make sure all of your food is stored in plastic containers that the rat cannot bite through.
8) Spray Repellant. There are many store bought repellants that can be successful in keeping away unwanted vermin. If you decide to go this route, you will want to make sure you spray the repellent as often as the instructions require.
7) Install an electronic repellant outside your home. An electronic repellant works by emitting a high pitched sound that is undetectable to humans and frightens small animals, causing them to run away from the sound.
6) Place glue paper trap. Glue paper works very quickly to catch a rat, but it may take a while to kill it. Out of all the methods on this list, this would have to be the slowest death for the rat. Although it is effective, I would recommend a method with a more humane death.
5) Get a rat hunting cat. This is the oldest trick in the book. Buy a large cat and teach it to hunt rats. If rats see their compatriots being eaten by a cat they will be running for their life and will find food elsewhere.
4) Place poison pellets. Poison is a highly effective method for exterminating rodents. Rats are incredibly skeptical of new objects in their environment, so it may take a few days before the rats ingests the poison pellets.
3) Place a lethal rat trap. This is the tried and true method of exterminating rats. Simply place the trap, lock the hinge, and wait for the rat to come by. When the rat steps on the trap it releases the hinge with a swift snap that breaks the rat’s neck, killing it immediately.
2) Place a lethal electronic rat trap. This is the age of technology which means we have an electric method for humanely killing rats. The electronic trap sends an 8,000 volt charge through the rat, killing in instantly.
1) Place a non-lethal trap. For animal lovers that wouldn’t want to kill even the smallest creature, you can place non-lethal traps that capture a rat that can then be released back into the wild.
Written by: Quintin Bentley Crevling