Gluten Free Thanksgiving Tips From Hormel
As a Hormel Extended Family Blogger, I am sent some really great recipes that use Hormel products and even some samples from time to time. This month I got an email that contained something that hit on an idea I had been forming. I have some friends that are gluten sensitive and my own Mother-In-Law is a gluten free person as well. I have been asked several times to try and make some gluten free recipes for them. As a traditional chef and baker (trained in french style cooking) it is hard to take out butter and flour from my concoctions. Thankfully Hormel sent me this email so I could share their ideas with you!
Enjoying the Holidays Gluten Free!
- When craving a sandwich with your turkey or ham holiday leftovers, try using corn tortillas! They make a great stand-in for bread and give your sandwich an extra special crunch! Hormel® Cure 81® ham can provide the juicy flavor tucked into your tortilla as it is 100% gluten-free!
- Creating a pasta salad as an appetizer for a holiday party? Rice based noodles are a perfect substitute for pasta noodles. Combine them with a gluten-free sauce, veggies and meat for a satisfying and delicious dish that guests will love.
- Cold November night-in and all you want is a little pizza as comfort food? Believe it or not, mashed potatoes make a great alternative to pizza crust. Just mix one serving of mashed potatoes (like Hormel™ Country Crock®) with about ¼ cup of any gluten-free flour, spread into a thin layer on a greased cookie sheet and bake for a few minutes until crisp. Add your favorite pizza toppings, pop back into the oven, and enjoy! Hormel™ Country Crock® also offers other gluten-free side dishes like cinnamon apples and broccoli cheddar rice!
- Looking for a convenient, yet delicious dinner solution when you’re pressed for time? Hormel™ Refrigerated Entrees offer multiple gluten-free varieties including beef roast au jus, Italian style beef roast, turkey breast toast and pork roast au jus. Made from top quality cuts of meat, these home-style entrees are the perfect (gluten-free) centerpiece of a hearty, nutritious family meal.
- Don’t feel ashamed in bringing your own gluten-free dish to a party! You’ll be surprised at how many other guests have similar food allergies and are appreciative of your forward thinking.
Do you have any family members with specific food allergies? How do you make sure everyone has a dish they can enjoy?
Show How You Lend a Helping Hand This Holiday Season!
Have you heard of Hormel Foods’ “On Our Way to Ending Hunger” program? Through this program, Hormel Foods has commissioned surveys to uncover perceptions of hunger in America, hosted hunger summits that brought leaders from the public and private sectors together, and donated millions of dollars worth of product to local food banks and Feeding America. You can find out more on the corporate website. Giving back to those less fortunate is important throughout the year, but the holidays present the perfect opportunity to get you in the giving spirit. How do you embrace your charitable side during the holiday season? We want to hear about what you’re already doing to lend a helping hand during the holiday season.
Share a comment below telling me how you give back and I will choose a random winner, in which Hormel will send a donation to the winner’s local food bank in time for Christmas!