Candy Cane Cupcakes
CANDY CANE CUPCAKES!
Don’t you just want to dig into that thing and see the inside?
Don’t they look tasty?
So you want the recipe do ya? Well first and foremost gather your goodies, cupcake wrappers decorations and of course you Ultragrain® Flour! (yep the candy cane twirls are Wilton!) And please PLEASE listen when I say use room temp ingredients they mix easier and all fundamentals of baking a cake from scratch call for it. Just set your stuff out a 1/2 hour before prep.
- 2½ Cups Ultragrain® All Purpose flour, sifted
- 2½ TSP Baking Soda
- ½ TSP Salt
- 2 egg whites, room temp , another bowl with 3 egg whites, room temp
- 1 TSP sugar
- 1 C. Milk, room temp
- 1 TSP Peppermint Extract (I used Watkins)
- 1 C. unsalted butter room temp (2 sticks NOT margarine!)
- 1½ C. Bakers Sugar
- 1 TSP. Red food color (I use Wilton no taste it looks like a little paint jar)
- Crushed peppermint candy canes
- Wilton Candy Curls for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line your cupcake pan with wrappers
- Sift your flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set side
- Whisk the 2 egg whites for bout a minute just to break the membranes .
- Add the peppermint to the milk and stir, set aside.
- Place butter in stand mixer and cream on medium speed for about 40 seconds. Add the bakers sugar in a steady stream. Keep o medium and mix until fluffy and doubled in volume. Scrape the sides of the bowl a couple times during this process.
- Add the 2 egg whites one TBS at a time and mix for a few more minutes, again scraping the sides down as needed. When this mixture is done it will look like cream cheese but whipped so its lighter.
- Add ¼ of the flour mixture and ⅓ of the milk mixture and stir with a rubber spatula. Alternate until ingredients are used and use the flour last.
- Whisk the egg whites with either a hand mixer or hand whisk (I did it by hand) If you are using the mixer, turn it up after 30 seconds and add the TSP of granulated sugar. (if doing by hand, wait until the egg whites have turned to thick foam) continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold egg whites into the batter and completely incorporate them. They add both a liquid and a “fluffy” agent to help the batter structure.
- Split the batter in half and color one red. I only used 1 TSP it was plenty.
- Add your batter to the cups. I used a medium cookie scoop in each color and put a scoop of each and then I took a butter knife to swirl. You can leave them and have half white half red cakes or layer the scoops on one another to make a vertical stripe.
- Cook for 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost , sprinkle on some crushed candy canes and top with the candy curl
Butter Cream Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners’/icing sugar
3 T milk
- Cream butter in stand mixer
- Add vanilla
- Gradually add the sugar 1 cup at a time
- When mixture is dry add the milk until it reaches the consistency you want.
If you make these PLEASE share a pic! I’d love to see some variations!