Curried Lentil and Eggplant Salad
We’ve had an unusual hot streak in Michigan for March, meaning we topped 85 degrees! We don’t start seeing that number until the end of June! I was in search of a good Spring recipe for this post and found a recipe for an eggplant salad. I tried it once and liked it but then put my own flavor into it and LOVED it. Who knew spices were so nice in spring? This salad is perfect for a spring meal, it contains grilled eggplant, which lets face it, is just heaven. The thing that really sets off the plethora of flavors in my opinion is the cucumbers. It also smells amazing!
- 2 C. Organic vegetable broth, or water
- 1 C. Dry Lentils, Rinsed. I soaked mine for 30 minutes
- 2 Tsp Organic Red Curry Powder, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 TBS. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium (8 oz.) eggplants, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1½ c. diced cucumber
- ⅓ C. flat leaf parsley
- ½ C. Red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ C. Yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 TBS Red Wine Vinegar
- Baby Arugula Leaves
- Combine lentils, broth and garlic in saucepan, add 1 TSP of the curry powder. bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-18 minutes until lentils are tender. Let stand 10 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, combine the paprika and remaining curry powder. Brush olive oil on the eggplant slices, then sprinkle the curry/paprika mixture evenly over the slices.
- On a preheated grill (300 degrees) grill the eggplant for 2-4 minutes (I grilled them two minutes on each side). Let stand about ten minutes on the cutting board.
- While the eggplant is resting, chop your peppers and cucumber. Then dice your eggplant.
- Combine the lentils, eggplant, peppers, cucumber, and parsley in a bowl. Add the red wine vinegar and the last TBS of the olive oil. Mix to coat
- Arrange your Arugula leaves on the plates, then add the mixture to the leaves, 1 cup. serve and enjoy!
This post was sponsored by Frigidaire. When you check out Suzanne Goin’s springtime recipes at www.maketimeforchange.com, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children’s U.S. programs. Plus, you’ll be entered for a chance to win the new Frigidaire Range with SymmetryTM Double Ovens – featuring two large ovens (that can each fit up to a 28 pound turkey!), providing the flexibility to cook multiple dishes at the same time at different temperatures, so you can get more on the table at the same time.