- Views 0
- Likes 0
As a food blogger I get many offers to try new things. Never in my life had I even HEARD of whole wheat stone ground PASTRY flour. I know my flours, my start in culinary school was in a baking class. Nevertheless, Hodgson Mill asked me to come up with a recipe using their flours. I couldn’t quite figure out what I would make but decided to use my regular cinnamon roll recipe and add a few ingredients
As i was waiting for my rolls to rise I took the time to look at the packaging and ingredients. I knew my flavors would not be the same as a regular cinnamon roll because of having whole wheat. The texture is a bit grainy compared to regular bleached flour that I usually use. Hodgson knows how to make a real flour, no GMO, all natural. Until I iced the rolls I felt I made a HEALTHY cinnamon roll!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Spiced Ginger Icing
4 C Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 tsp salt
¼ C. granulated sugar
1 TBSP active dry yeast
¼ C. warm milk (very important)
3 eggs, room temp
¾ cup unsalted butter, cut in 12 pieces, room temp.
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 cup light brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 C. powdered sugar
1/4 C. Butter, softened
1/2 C. Pumpkin Puree
1 1/2 TSP Ginger
1/2 TSP Cinnamon
Milk to thin if needed.
- Mix flour, salt and sugar together in a medium bowl, set aside. Give your eggs a quick wisk to mix them
- In small bowl mix milk and yeast and stir very well with a wisk until the yeast is dissolved in the milk. If it clumps, your milk is too cold. Let sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Add yeast/milk mixture to stand mixer bowl with flat paddle attachment and with the speed on 1, add the eggs and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and spices.
- Flip the speed up to 2 and add the flour mixture 1/2 C. at a time. your mixture will be dry flaky, that is ok.
- Change the attachment to the dough hook and start adding your butter one piece at a time. Mix this for 4-5 minutes until you get a nice big dough ball. Set ball in a large bowl and cover, and let this rise for 1 1.2 hours.
Add all ingredients to stand mixer with flat paddle attachment and mix low-med speed until smooth. By smooth I mean ready to spread on bread, this will take 3-4 minutes.
- Uncover your dough and work out the air bubbles and turn the dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough into an 11X18 rectangle
- Spread cinnamon butter evenly on the dough. and yes, you can lick the spatula.
- Roll the dough on the long side like a jelly roll, and use a bench scraper to slice your dough. Place rolls on pan and cover woith plastic wrap, let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake rolls for about 35 minutes or when they are golden brown. leave in pan on colling rack for 5 minutes.
- Prepare glaze by mixing the sugar, spices and butter and then the milk 2 TBS at a time to thin until it reaches icing consistency. pour on still warm rolls. Admire. Take a photo.
TRY IT: You can download a free $1.00 off coupon by clicking here!
Hodgson Mills is giving one lucky reader a flour prize pack worth $25! You have two ways to win:
1. CLICK HERE to enter via the Hodgson Mill site (their contest)
2. COMMENT BELOW and tell me what you want to bake first with your Hodgson Mill flours if you win!
Extra Entries: (you must post a new comment for each task.)
- Like Serendipity Mommy on Facebook
- Follow Serendipity Mommy On Pinterest
- Like Hodgson Mill on Facebook
- Follow Hodgson Mill on Twitter
- Follow Hodgson Mill on Pinterest
- Follow me on Twitter
- Tweet this giveaway twice a day: (2 entries)
This contest ends December 14th at 11:59 PM. US Entrants Only. Random winner will be drawn. If you win on one site you will not be eligible to win on the other.