I took a cue from my holiday cookies and decided to experiment with other cake flavors to try and make some cute Valentine inspired treats. Very easy recipe and you don’t really HAVE to cut the cookies into hearts if you don’t want to…I am just OCD like that
I used strawberry Supreme and Red Velvet both from Duncan Hines. I am brand loyal because this brand is also recommended by Wilton. Just remember all you need is the cake mix, do not follow the box directions!
You should get a dozen “sandwich” cookies…Which apparently isn’t enough it seems, kids are wanting more since they finished them ALL in one day. Okay the adults helped too….
- 1 Pkg Cake Mix, Strawberry Supreme or Red Velvet
- 2 Eggs
- ½ C. vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ Stick butter, softened
- 4 oz.Cream Cheese, room temp
- 2 TSP. Vanilla extract
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs and oil Batter will be very thick!
- Form balls of batter in your hands, making sure to make them the same size
- Place the balls on the cookie sheet. Press down gently on the center, these can bake thick.
- Bake for 11–13 minutes. Be careful, the strawberry will turn brown if you overcook.
- While the cookies are baking, make your frosting. Cream the butter and cream cheese first, then add the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar in ½ cup increments until all the sugar is incorporated.
- When cookies are cool enough to handle, cut them with a heart cookie cutter. Put some frosting on the underside of a cookie, then press the other to make a sandwich. Voila!
And there you haqve it, a fun and tasty treat for Valentine’s Day! And your kids can help too, my 5 year old cut out all the hearts for me!