Purée of Green Pea Soup With Mint Cream
Yield: 3 Portions, 8 oz. Prep Time 10 minutes, Cook time 30 minutes. – Recipe by Chef Ian
- ¼ oz. butter
- 3/4 oz. onion, small dice
- 2 C. Chicken Stock
- 12 oz. Fresh or Frozen Peas (I would go for sweet but that is a personal preference)
- Salt and Ground White Pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP. Heavy Cream
- 1 ½ oz. Heavy Cream
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
1. heat the butter in heavy sauce pot over moderately low heat.
2. Add the onions and sweat them without letting them brown (cook until they become transparent).
3. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
4. Add the peas. Simmer until the peas are soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Pass peas through a food mill or purée with an immersion blender.
6. Return the peas to a simmer. Add additional stock if necessary to bring it to proper consistency (I did have to use another cup of stock and water at college when I made mine.)
7. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. At service time, heat the 2 TBSP heavy cream and stir into the soup.
9. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, fold in the shredded mint leaves
10. Immediately before serving place a TBSP of the mint cream on top of each portion.