No one wants to think about the presence of mold in their home. However, it occurs in more household areas than you may think. There are over 100,000 known types of mold. For people with respiratory problems, poor immune systems, or allergies, being exposed to it is potentially dangerous. You can determine if mold possibly exists in your house through most of your senses. Learn what the warning signs are before mold takes over your home and your health.
The Naked Eye
Image via Flickr by iBjorn
Most people can recognize mold by sight. You typically see the black substance in your shower or bathtub along the caulk and sealing. Although, all molds are not black in color. They can be white, gray, brown, or green. Mold sometimes looks like it’s orange or purple on certain surfaces. However, they all survive off a food source, water, and a dark, inactive atmosphere as long as freezing or boiling temperatures are not present. There could also be a bigger mold colony outside of the one that you see.
One of the most common tell-tale signs of mold is an earthy smell. It is musty and smells like dirt or dying leaves. Some molds have a stronger smell. It can be found living in your walls behind paneling or wallpaper. In these instances, the pungent odor may alert you before you lay eyes on it. The certainty of mold should be determined by a professional. Schedule a reputable company to test your home, including servicing your HVAC system. Then, they can assist you with any repairs or mold removal that you may need.
Illness and Irritation
Congestion, watery eyes, headaches, wheezing, and fatigue are all health symptoms associated with mold in your home. You might feel perfectly fine outside of your home, but you experience illness when you return. This might be a sign of indoor mold. Has your home ever been affected by a flood? USA Today reports that over 19 major floods happened in the United States in 2016 alone. If your home has flooded, water could have crept into unseen places and remains there undetected. You might have mold growing under your flooring or behind your built-in appliances.
Image via Flickr by noii’s
Stachybotrys, a common indoor mold, thrives in wet conditions. It is found in materials such as drywall, cardboard, wicker, and cotton. Dust, lint, and lumber also harbor stachybotrys. If you see water stains or discoloration on your floors, ceilings, or walls, there could be mold developing. Is the paint cracking or peeling? Are there bubbles in the surface of the wallpaper? These are indications that a water leak has occurred and mold is underneath. When you notice a warped shelf or base underneath your kitchen sink, moisture has probably seeped in, leading to mold growth.
Even the smallest of mold patches can spread if untreated. Stop it before it gets out of control. Don’t allow it to be harmful to you and your family.