Winter is the season of cold and flu. It’s never been scientifically proven but a mom would know. It is indeed the time where everyone particularly young kids start to sniffle and get sick.
Why cold and flu is more common during winter
According to new studies, as the internal body temperature drops when exposed to cold air, the immune system’s ability to fight rhinovirus that causes common cold weakens too.
Rhinovirus is known to replicate better in cooler temperature – around 33 degrees Celsius compared to internal body temperature of 37 degrees Celsius. Thus, when the person is exposed to cold air especially outdoors, his/her immune system weakens while Rhinovirus replicates, resulting to cold and flu.
However, it is still not easy to pinpoint as to how the cold air allows rhinovirus to replicate better.
Ways to prevent cold and flu this winter season
Here are some ways to help prevent cold and flu during winter season:
- Always stay warm – like what we’ve discussed, cold is common during winter season where the weather is extremely cold so to be able to prevent catching the virus, it is advisable to keep yourself warm. Make sure to wear clothes that will keep you warm especially when going out. Cover your head, feet, hands, and even your nose and mouth in case you have a weak immune system.
- Wash your hands regularly – kill the germs and viruses fast by washing your hands regularly. Wash it thoroughly with soap and water or alcohol when you are outdoors and have no access to water.
- Take vitamins – it is important to keep your immune system strong to fight viruses like Rhinovirus. Drink your vitamins regularly including vitamin C, D, zinc, iron and probiotics.
- Drink cold and flu tablets – in case you are starting to sneeze and sniff, it is time that you drink your cold and flu tablets to fight off germs fast before they create more damage to your health.
- Drink lots of fluids – it is also advisable that you drink lots of fluids daily. Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. Rehydration is good for the health since it helps your kidney wash off dirt that your body accumulates. In case you are suffering from cold already, drinking plenty of water will help your body to feel better.
- Exercise – lastly, try to strengthen your immune system by working out regularly. It is not easy to be active during winter season where you just want to cuddle up in your couch or bed but you have to. Regular exercise helps increase the number of natural killer cells in the body that fight off bacteria and viruses.
As a mom, you cannot afford to see your child suffering from cold and getting sick. As much as possible you want to protect them from these viruses just to keep them healthy and happy all the time. So be extra cautious when it comes to your children’s health during winter season. Cold is common among adults but moreover among children below 6 years old.