How Bad Is Mold for Your Health

According to the World Health Organization, one of the main causes of childhood asthma is exposure to indoor dampness and mold. Furthermore, this exposure has also been associated with insomnia in adults, as well as depression, a weakened immune system and numerous skin conditions. Living in a damp home and inhaling mold particles can wreak havoc on your health, causing not only skin irritations, nasal congestion, and chest tightness, but also a myriad of other health problems.

Respiratory problems

Nasal congestion, throat irritation, wheezing, coughing, and chest tightness are just some of the respiratory issues that you can have if you’re exposed to mold for too long. While mold isn’t toxic, it still produces irritating substances that can potentially cause more severe respiratory problems. Avoid spending a lot of time in a damp room because your lung function can be seriously impaired, and you could end up with asthma or some other chronic health problem. Furthermore, long exposure to mold and mildew can lead to bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, and respiratory infections. Black mold ‒ one of the most dangerous types of mold ‒ will cause skin problems, but it can also cause idiopathic pulmonary haemosiderosis i.e. bleeding from the lungs. A condition similar to pneumonia ‒Hypersensitivity pneumonitis ‒ can also be the side effect of long exposure to damp rooms. Therefore, try to solve the problem of a moldy home, because if you spend more than a year in a damp home, your lungs will be especially susceptible to lung disease, which can eventually lead to Hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

Insomnia

A disturbed sleep pattern is another side effect of a long exposure to mold and mildew. Namely, according to research, mold exposure was brought into connection with a higher risk of suffering from insomnia. Sleeping in a soggy room will cause respiratory problems, which will eventually lead to a lack of sleep, disturb your sleeping pattern, and if the exposure to damp environment continues, you can end up suffering from insomnia. Therefore, it’s a good idea to invest in the best air purifier for removing mold that will help you cleanse the air of mold spores. You will still have to find the cause of mold so you could remove it from the walls, but with an air purifier, you won’t be inhaling the mold fragments anymore, which will help you breathe easily and protect your lungs from the harmful effect of mold.

Neurological problems

A study has shown that people who live in moldy residences are more likely to suffer from depression. Furthermore, anxiety, tremors, headaches, multiple sclerosis and loss of coordination are some of the neurological problems you can suffer from unless you get rid of mold in your home.

Skin irritation

Rashes and dermatitis are just a few of the skin conditions many children who live in damp homes are faced with. When the skin is exposed to mold, the irritating substances it produces will cause a burning sensation in the skin. If you or your child experiences any throat, lung, eye and nose irritation, it’s a sufficient proof that a person has been under a long exposure to mold. Yeast infections and athlete’s foot are other side effects, and the more a person is exposed to mold, the more susceptible they’ll become to all the problems it causes.

Final thoughts

Exposure to mold and mildew can have a profound effect on your health. Living in a damp home may lead to insomnia, a whole spectrum of respiratory problems, ranging from asthma, throat irritation, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, to nasal congestion. Tremors, headaches, and the loss of coordination along with multiple skin conditions are just some of the serious health issues mold can cause. Therefore, make sure you get rid of it soon, and provide a healthy living environment to your entire family.