There are many different reasons why someone may want to print photographs. It is quite rare now, however, for people to print their own pictures in a dark room. This is because photography is almost fully digital. While photo printers were popular for a while, this has now also gone digital. The result is that most people opt for online photo printing instead.
Before Online Photo Printing
In the past, photos were printed using chemicals and a darkroom. Professionals would use specialized paper, which would be dipped in various basins, each with different chemicals in it. This would transfer the images taken on a negative onto the paper. This process still exists, of course, but it is no longer popular. It is time consuming and expensive, and therefore more reserved for the hobbyists nowadays.
The Benefits of Online Printing
Online printing has a lot of benefits, many of which go beyond the fact that you can print some pictures. They include:
- That you can print your images on just about anything, from canvasses to mugs, and from pens to t-shirts. This is great for souvenirs and keepsakes, but also highly beneficial as a promotional item for businesses. Indeed, advertising firms are perhaps the biggest clients of most online printing professionals. Printing this way is a lot more economical than any other method.
- That digital and online printing is a lot cheaper than any other form of printing. If you still have a printer, you will know how expensive ink is, particularly ink suitable for photograph printing. Plus, you also need special paper in order for things to look good. If you go online, prints are a lot cheaper and if you buy more than one print, you will usually get a greater discount as well.
- That it is done for you. You can simply place your order online, from the comfort of your own couch, and the prints will be sent to you as soon as they are done. You can set up an online account on which you can store all your images, and you can place an order for prints whenever you have some time, including during your lunchbreak, on the bus when you commute, or any other time.
- That it is incredibly quick. Usually, you can have straightforward prints within you in no more than five working days. For bigger or more complex items, such as entire photobooks or canvas prints, the time would not even be all that much longer. In fact, it is likely that what you have to wait the longest for is the USPS, depending on where you live and where the printer is located.
- That you can choose lots of different materials. You can obviously choose matte or gloss, but also materials such as canvas, artistic prints, and more. Plus, you can choose the finish you like.
Clearly, online photo printing is far more convenient, faster, and affordable than any other method out there.